Sunday, October 24, 2010

Pomegranate Pie

I know, it's like pomegranate heaven over here.  I suppose I feel that I've cheated myself all these years, out of all kinds of pomegranates, and I have to make up for it.  So tonight, I tried my hand at pomegranate pie! 

I'm not going to bother giving you the crust recipe, because this crust I was not at all pleased with.  (If you're really interested this is what I used.)  What I will do, is give you the filling recipe...because it turned out really super good!









1.  Start with seeds from one pomegranate.



2.  Take 2 cups of pomegranate juice and put in saucepan.  Reduce by half (that's 1 cup!) 


I got a sample of this R.W. Knudsen Brand light juice at work - perfect timing!  I would suggest probably getting one not sweetened with stevia though, if you have a choice.
3.  When juice is reduced, add a splash of balsamic vinegar, follow by adding 1/2 - 1 teaspoon Xanthan gum and be sure to stir with a whisk!  If you don't have a whisk, at least use a fork.  Please.

4.  When you've got a pretty nice consistency, close to that of a jam, pour in your pomegranate seeds.  Stir well, and taste.  If you want it a little sweeter, add some agave or honey or whatever you'd like!

5.  Fill up your pie crust!  I chose to use mini pie tins because pomegranate seeds are so tiny.  It only makes sense.

6.  I chose to top the pies with a crumble sort of topping. (This is how crumble-y the above crust recipe was)  I sprinkled a little extra sucanat on top for added sweetness.  
7.  Bake for 12 - 15 minutes in a 400 degree oven.  (Or whatever your pie crust recipe calls for.  The filling is already cooked! You could, in all honesty, bypass the crust and just eat the pom-jam on toast)

No comments:

Post a Comment