Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Get Well Wednesday!

Hello, beautiful people!

I've been a bit under the weather the past few days due in part to the drastic temperature changes and a bit of allergies. I've tried a few things here and there, and tonight - I finally decided to pull out the chicken noodle soup.

But, is chicken noodle soup an old wives tale? Certainly, it must be? Or, perhaps the reason it works so well is because when your mom used to make it she would put all her love into it. (This, by the way, I think is part of the reason. Things always taste better when my mom cooks them for me - no matter what.)

Some say the steam from the soup is the real benefit. Sipping hot soup and breathing in the steam helps clear up congestion, keeps the mucous flowing a little bit better and just makes you feel better by eating something warm.

There was a study, however, at the University of Nebraska that found that the soup stops the movement of inflammation-causing white blood cells called neutrophils. Also found was that chicken soup not only helps hydrate us when we have a cold, but also helps clear airways and makes breathing easier. They also found that the chicken noodle soup didn't have to be made by your mom, but could be healing even out of a can!

So, what do you believe? I had to rely on canned Amy's No Chicken Noodle Soup - and I felt better for a good couple of hours. Is it all in my head? I hope not!

No comments:

Post a Comment